Saturday, May 12, 2012

Happiness revealed...

A while ago my husband told me "you are the happiest person I know".  The reason he quickly quipped those words as he was on his way to work was because I was unusually sad over some recent criticism I had received.  Ironically, the criticism was over the way I view the world around me.

I play like a child.

I skip with children, even if they are not in the mood and I'm a total embarrassment.

I sing, even if I can't carry a tune.

I'm fascinated by a bug on the ground, even if we're late to a dinner party.

I'll stop dead in my tracks to watch a bird, even if I'm in the middle of a power walk.

I'll stare at the night sky, even if I just pulled in to the driveway, exhausted and ready for bed.

I'll pull out watercolor and teach the children how to paint, even when I really want to use acrylics.

I volunteer in a math class and am their teacher's biggest fan.

I took my rock collection into the school for the science class.

I took the children out of school two days in one week to watch the arrival of Discovery. I also gave each of them a camera so they could capture their own images.


Future CNN reporters:



The girl's snapshot:



The boy's snapshot:



I am fascinated by the world around me...every lit bit of it. I am amazed by dirt and rocks and grass and plants just as I am amused by the night skies and the millions and billions of stars. I am intrigued by everything on this planet and beyond and everything in between.

I also love to talk to people yet I enjoy my own quiet time to read a book and recharge.  I love hearing the respectful opinion of others and debating politics with hard core liberals or conservatives and religion with atheists.

I love to write poetry and paint and also budget our money and crunch numbers.

Yes, I am all over the place and yet the criticism of all these things left me feeling sad and useless and some sort of loser because I have no goal, vocation, or paid job.

So when my husband reminded me that I am the happiest person he knows, I brushed off the sadness and stood up tall and decided I was not going to feel bad ever again for what breathes life to my soul.  Of course recently, I've been a little bit of a shut in because of my injury BUT I am healing and yesterday I got to take some pictures in our front yard.

I felt like the flowers were so happy to see me and were cheering me on saying "ME! ME! ME! TAKE A PICTURE OF ME!"  These are just a few of the things that make me happy.

What's up buttercup?  I surely missed you...


Go out and experience the world around you. Slow down to truly see. It is such a gift.

Blessings for your day,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I look forward to reading your thoughts and sharing this space with you.