Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Opening the mind...and heart

I certainly hope you enjoyed visiting with me while we read Why the Nativity? by David Jeremiah before Christmas. I did. I really, really did.

If you recall, what I loved most was reading his words that painted pictures in my mind and took me back to ancient Palestine.  I believe those images opened my thought process and truly helped prepare my heart for the powerful message of the Nativity.

Now I'm at it again. This time with another author; however, this author is quoting several writings from 1st century Jews and other scholars and writers, while taking me on a trip to understand the culture and perception of the time surrounding Jesus and his contemporaries.

For me personally, it's really mind blowing and also enlightening. And I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

One of the quotes in this book says exactly what I have felt about studying the bible properly in order to truly understand what is being said. As a note, remember what I wrote about looking too close and not enjoying the forest because you're focused on examining bark and only bark. There is a time and place for everything.

But I digress.

Here it is:
"to grab a few lines of Jesus and drop them down on someone 2,000 years later without first entering into the world in which they appeared is lethal to the life and vitality and truth of the Bible."
Did you catch that? Lethal. 

Lethal to the...truth.

Woah.

I'm already almost half way done with this book and the deeper I dig the more I'm discovering on my own.  If I've peaked your interest and you want to know what I'm reading I'll tell you.  Actually, if you don't care stop reading here because I'm going to tell you anyway...silly.

Just know one thing, I've been told all my life I'm a perpetual student and I get bored easily if I'm not challenged.  So with that said, don't be surprised because I've traveled from Why the Nativity? by David Jeremiah to Erasing Hell by Francis Chan.

If that didn't give you whiplash, then you know me all too well.

Blessings for your day,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I look forward to reading your thoughts and sharing this space with you.